Nous sommes actuellement le 28 Mars 2024, 13:27

Le fuseau horaire est réglé sur UTC+1 heure

Publier un nouveau sujet Répondre au sujet  [ 3 messages ] 
Auteur Message
MessagePublié: 12 Janvier 2010, 16:06 
Grand matou
Grand matou
Hors-ligne

Je m'inquiète vraiment de cette mode américaine des émissions avec des « chasseurs de fantômes », qui ne semble heureusement jusqu'ici pas avoir été adoptée en France (à une exception près) :

Citer:
Ghost hunters scarier than spirits themselves
by Jeremy Schwartz
Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cartoon by Annika Volkmann

I have no explanation for it. But nonetheless, most every Tuesday night at 10 p.m. there they are. The Klinge brothers: two chubby, self-proclaimed paranormal investigators filling my television screen.

Inexplicably, I find myself tuning to the Discovery Channel week after week to indulge in a show called “Ghost Lab,” which I consider the worst ghost-hunting/paranormal “reality” show on in prime time. Never before has such a show simultaneously made me laugh so hard while making me so frustrated.

Fortunately, the viewing public has the chance for a temporary reprieve from this particular brand of paranormal inanity during the show’s winter hiatus. However, a poll conducted in December showed an increasing number of people may be watching “Ghost Lab” when new episodes eventually return to the Discovery Channel.

The Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion and Public Life conducted the poll as part of a larger survey on how people’s religious affiliations and spiritual beliefs intermingle. When asked whether they had seen or been in the presence of a ghost, 18 percent of the respondents answered “Yes.” That proportion has doubled since 1996. While 18 percent may not seem like a large number, the two-fold increase in the last 13 years shows just how popular belief in the supernatural has become in the last decade.

“Ghost Lab” is one of the most recent of a furiously clenched handful of ghost-hunting shows currently polluting the airwaves. While all these shows have their different methods of seeking out paranormal activity, they all share one attribute in common: an absolute disregard for science and critical thinking.

The trend started in earnest with the laughable Travel Channel series “Most Haunted,” which premiered in 2002. “Most Haunted” follows a team of British paranormal investigators as they scurry about the United Kingdom’s allegedly most haunted locales talking to the darkness and generally making fools of themselves. The “Most Haunted” star dimmed a bit in 2005 when two hosts of the show were accused of faking ghostly happenings for the cameras. According to an article from the British Broadcasting Corporation, the hosts were cleared of any wrongdoing when a British communications regulator christened “Most Haunted” as entertainment-only and not to be taken seriously.

In 2004, the “SyFy” Channel aired the first episode of “Ghost Hunters,” which has perhaps become the most successful of any ghost-hunting show on television. “Ghost Hunters” follows the exploits of plumbers-turned-paranormal-investigators Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson and their team as they come to the aid of people who allege ghosts are infesting their homes. The show has proved so successful that 2009 saw the premiere of “Ghost Hunters Academy,” in which five ghost-hunters-in-training vied for coveted spots on the ghost hunting team. The last episode of the first season of “Academy” hinted that a second season of the show is in the works.

But the especially atrocious disservice “Ghost Lab” does to science makes the show stand out in this collection of ludicrous ghost-hunting shows. The Klinge brothers, Brad and Barry, start every episode with the statement that their group uses science to investigate claims of the paranormal. This so-called use of science involves formulating theories and designing tests for those theories on the spot.

But what the Klinge brothers fail to do every single time is eliminate all other non-paranormal explanations for the alleged ghostly activity they capture on their video cameras and audio recorders. Real science works through meticulous experimentation that is designed to show a given hypothesis to be false. If the hypothesis holds fast through the testing phase, then the scientists involved begin to think the hypothesis may accurately describe a small piece of the way the world works.

The Klinge brothers take the opposite approach. They go into an investigation with the assumption that ghosts exist and “test” for paranormal activity using methods designed to support their assumptions. Any experiences they have that are not immediately explainable are immediately chalked up to paranormal activity. Most every unexplained noise becomes a specter stalking the two rotund investigators.

With the new year only 12 days old, I hope 2010 will bring some semblance of critical thinking to the plethora of ghost-hunting shows that will undoubtedly find their way onto thousands of TV screens across America. But if “Ghost Lab” is representative of the newest crop of such shows, I won’t be holding my breath.

Jeremy Schwartz is a Western senior majoring in news/editorial journalism and pursuing Latin and philosophy minors. Contact Jeremy at westernfrontcolumnist@gmail.com.

Source : WesternFrontOnline.net

18% des gens qui disent avoir déjà vu un fantôme, contre 9% en 1996, ça fait effectivement un peu peur. :|

Je ne sais pas si vous avez déjà regardé des extraits de ces émissions, mais elles sont vraiment atterrantes pour les gens qui ont minimum d'esprit critique.

Répondre en citant  
MessagePublié: 12 Janvier 2010, 16:32 
Désinscrit
Désinscrit
Hors-ligne

Avoir l'esprit critique, c'est une tare à l'heure actuelle, un défaut. Il ne faut surtout pas réfléchir et entrer dans le moule.

Répondre en citant  
MessagePublié: 12 Janvier 2010, 19:16 
Membre
Membre
Hors-ligne

C'est politiquement incorrect.

Répondre en citant  
Publier un nouveau sujet Répondre au sujet  [ 3 messages ] 

Le fuseau horaire est réglé sur UTC+1 heure